Message from the Superintendent
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” -- William Butler Yeats
Welcome to the Ayer Shirley Regional School District (ASRSD) where we value a high quality education for every student. We strongly believe in equity, equality, and access for every learner. Our vision is to connect, engage, and inspire all students in the Ayer Shirley Regional School District to reach academic excellence. We, the educators of the Ayer Shirley Regional School District, will instill habits of reflection and inquiry to challenge our students in setting ambitious academic and personal goals. Students will develop a strong voice to express thoughts and ideas in the community, and the confidence to showcase their talents and successes in preparation for entry into college and the world of work.
This district regionalized in 2011, which merged the educational systems of the towns of Ayer and Shirley. We have a student population of approximately 1,745 students and we are very proud of our small class sizes. The district is comprised of two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. The district is proud to boast a new state of the art high school and the final touches to the grounds will be completed this fall. This 21st century school includes science laboratories, a media center, apple computer labs, mobile computer labs, a video production lab, interactive projectors, and much more.
The high school addition/renovation project received the highest architecture award, the 2015 CEFPI Northeast Region Ed Kirkbride Award recognizing quality and innovation in both school planning and design. The CEFPI jury recognizes projects that stand out as forward thinking and inspiring, with exceptional achievement in the design of learning, physical and community environments, as well as the planning process. Additionally, the high school has received LEED certification, which is quite significant.
Here are just a few of the outstanding achievements and programs in the district:
- We are fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
- The district is a 2016 and 2015 US News and World Report Silver Medal winner as one of the top high schools in the US and Massachusetts. ASRHS is in the top 12% of high schools in the US and top 22% in MA.
- 88.6% of Ayer Shirley Regional High School (ASRHS) students taking Advanced Placement (AP) exams scored 3-5 in 2014, one of the highest in the area.
- At ASRHS we offer four academic pathways – Mass Core, Honors, STEM, and Early College.
- Grade 8 students may take high school level foreign language and receive 5 credits.
Some of the enrichment programs offered at the middle school and high school:
- A variety of sports programs. Most ASRHS teams qualify for post-season play.
- Drama – Two productions a year at the high school, including a musical, as well as an annual middle school production.
- Music- Concert and marching bands, jazz ensemble, and chorus at the ASRHS, concert band and chorus at the ASRMS. We also offer chorus in our elementary schools and band in Grade 5.
- Art programs including ceramics, digital photography, painting, drawing, graphic design, and video production.
We offer award winning extracurricular activities such as First Lego League Robotics at the elementary and middle schools and FIRST Robotics and Mock Trial at ASRHS.
Our performing arts program is exceptional! The ASRHS Concert Band and Choir have won awards for two consecutive years at the MICCA Festival. The ASRMS band won the Trills and Thrills Superior Award for the past two years.
We value strong school, family, and community engagement. Our partnerships with parents are essential to the academic success of our students. The non-Profit Ayer Shirley Education Foundation (ASEF) has awarded more than $250,000 in enrichment grants to the district. We have a strong PTO and community members and businesses are extremely supportive of our schools.
We invite you to become part of this great school system!
Dr. Mary Malone
Superintendent of Schools