The weather during winter break was more like spring break! I hope that everyone was able to get outside to take advantage of this pleasant surprise. At ASRHS, February was a quick month with winter vacation; however, lots of wonderful activities continued to place, and awards were distributed. Some of the highlights of the month of February include the following:
- Boys and Girls Basketball teams made it to the District Playoffs – Congratulations!
- Lady Panther Basketball will be playing Douglas at Douglas on Saturday, March 4th at 7PM in the Semi-Finals District Competition.
- Congratulations to the members of the ASRHS Mock Trial team who will be one of the 32 teams competing at the Regionals/Sweet 16 Trials on Sunday, March 5, 2017 at Clark University in Worcester! Unfortunately, due to space constraints, region winners are not allowed to bring spectators to watch the matches on Sunday, March 5th .
- Mrs. Wittmier, a member of the ASRHS English faculty, was nominated by The Marble Collection [TMC] Board of Directors to receive their distinguished “Creative Advocate – Outstanding English Language Arts Educator” award for her commitment to share TMC’s mission to cultivate creativity and excellence in the arts with her students.
- Congratulations to Jillian Folger and Allison Steeves who will be honored by the Merrimack Valley Superintendents Association at their 7th Annual Scholars Luncheon on May 17th. Both students are being honored for their efforts both inside and outside of the classroom, and how they represent the definition of success within Ayer Shirley Regional High School. In addition, they have excelled not only academically, but also in creating and engaging in partnerships within ASRHS and their communities to promote the greater good. Again, congratulations to both Jillian and Allison!
- Mr. O’Connor, a member of the Visual Arts faculty, was selected as ASRHS Employee of the Month for January.
- Congratulations to the members of the girls and boys indoor track teams and their coaches Mr. Lamoreaux, Mr. Seguin, and Mr. Donovan for a great season! The girls’ team finished 2-3 in Mid Wach D. Erin Norton and Anna Norton were named to the all-star team and Erin Norton qualified for the Division V State Meet in the high jump and long jump. The boys’ team finished 5-0 in Mid Wach D and won their first ever indoor league title. They also took home a plaque from the Division II Central MA Meet, finishing runner-up out of over 30 teams. League all-stars include Ed Ernst, Will Ernst, Ethan Matthews, Steven Lawton, Nick Casavecchia and Jimmy Robinson. The team sent these all-stars as well as Trevor Fields, Matt Sabatino, and Tim Holmes to the Division V State Meet. At this meet, Ethan Matthews set a record in the 2 mile, finishing the race in 9:39.66, qualifying him for the All-State Meet.
- ASRHS celebrated Digital Learning Day 2017, which took place over vacation, by extending it during the week of February 27th – March 3rd with fun facts in QR codes posted around the school. Students were encouraged to download a QR code scanner onto their phone and learn trivia about Ayer, Shirley, the high school, district, and staff. Thank you Mrs. Carpenter for putting this together along with the students in your computer education classes. Here’s what to look forward to during the month of March and beyond. . .
- March 3rd , MWCC STEM Awareness Day.
- March 5th , Lady Panther Basketball v. Douglas at Douglas, 7PM.
- March 8th , Quarter 3 Progress Reports will be emailed home to parents.
- March 8th , Jazz Band District Competition, Algonquin Regional HS, Northboro, 4PM.
- March 9th – March 10th , Ayer Shirley FIRST Robotics Competing in the WPI District Event – see flier that follows. March 11th , Kaplan’s SAT Prepathon.
- March 15th , District Arts Night, ASRHS, 6:00 – 8:00PM.
- March 17th , Student v. Teacher Basketball Game.
- March 20th , Tryouts for spring sports will begin.
- March 21st , Spring Concert, 7:30 – 9:30 in the Laura S. Leavitt Memorial Auditorium.
- March 21st , MCAS Grade 10 ELA Composition Sections A and B exam.
- March 22nd , MCAS Grade 10 ELA Reading Comprehension Sections 1 and 2 exam.
- March 23rd , MCAS Grade 10 ELA Reading Comprehension Section 3 exam.
- March 23rd , College Admissions Seminar, 7PM, ASRHS Large Group Instruction room.
- March 25th – March 26th , Ayer Shirley FIRST Robotics Competing in the Southern New Hampshire District Event – see flier that follows.
- April 3rd , Last day for MCAS ELA make-up testing.
- April 6 th , April 7 th , April 8 th , Ayer Shirley FIRST Robotics Competing in the New England Championship at UNH,Durham.
- April 7 th , Student Government Day.
- April 13th , Band Trip – BSO Rehearsal.
- April 17th – 21st , Spring Vacation.
- April 25th – April 30th , Ayer Shirley FIRST Robotics Competing in the World Championship in St. Louis, MO. In addition to the above, please see the newsletter that follows from our School Counselors for important college and career information. As always, we are here to support both families and students.
In addition to the above, please see the newsletter that follows from our School Counselors for important college and career information. As always, we are here to support both families and students.
Sincerely, Albert J. Varga, Principal
School Counseling News
Get ready for the SAT with Kaplan’s free resources:
- Kaplan’s SAT Prepathon Taking the SAT on March 11th? Join Kaplan’s FREE SAT Prepathon online Sunday, March 5th from 12-6pm to help you get ready for test day. Register today at www.kaptest.com/prepathon. Free Practice Tools for the SAT and ACT
- Students: Take a free SAT or ACT pop quiz, 20-minute practice, or full proctored practice test online, and Kaplan will donate Kaplan course scholarships to students through The Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Sign up now! Practice with a Purpose SENIORS/SENIOR PARENTS
- All Community Service hours should have been handed in by March 1, 2017. As a reminder, there is a community service requirement for graduation. If your hours have not been completed, please speak to Mrs. Sweetland IMMEDIATELY.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays H block: These are the times that are consistently available for Seniors to discuss college/career plans etc. Please make an appointment in the Counseling Office! JUNIORS:
- Make sure your Naviance tasks are in progress and completed by the deadlines! We will host a College Admissions Seminar on March 23 at 7 PM in the LGI room with a guest speaker from MEFA.
- If you are considering participating in college sports, visit the NCAA for rules, regulations and requirements http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center
- It is time to schedule your college admissions tests! We recommend that you take the writing portion of the SAT and/or the ACT. Ayer Shirley Regional High School’s CEEB code is 220095. o Use https://www.khanacademy.org/sat to link to your PSAT scores and practice to improve your SAT scores! o Register for the SAT Reasoning, with Writing, tests at www.collegeboard.org Make sure you use the same email account you used for your PSAT.
- If you need to take SAT Subject tests, you can take up to 3 on one test date; you cannot take the reasoning test and subject tests on the same date.
- Fee waivers are available to students who receive free or reduced lunch. Please see your counselor to obtain one.
- SAT Test Dates*
- Registration Dates May 6, 2017 April 7, 2017 June 3, 2017 May 9, 2017
- To register for the ACT, with writing, go to http://www.actstudent.org. Fee waivers are available to students who receive free or reduced lunch. Please see your counselor to obtain one.
- ACT Test Date Registration Deadline Late Registration (Extra Fee Required) April 8, 2017 March 3, 2017 March 4-17, 2017 June 10, 2017 May 5, 2017 May 6-19, 2017 PARENTS:
- The Naviance login information has been resent to the email address on file for all parents. Please create your account so you can participate in the college and career exploration and planning process with your child(ren). In Naviance, you can see your child’s PSAT and SAT scores as they become available. You can see what tasks we have assigned and see your child’s progress; you can add colleges to your child’s list of “colleges I’m thinking about”!
- Mount Wachusett Community College's STEM Awareness Day event will take place on Friday, March 3 from 8:00 am - 1:00 pm.
- This is a FREE event designed for any high school senior to explore and experience the wonderful world of STEM. Participant highlights will include:
- Making necklaces with their own DNA
- Learning how to navigate various healthcare pathways
- Launching and analyzing their own mini-rockets Meeting local fire chiefs and hearing all about fire science
- Checking out 3-D printing and robotics equipment
- FREE lunch! Students can reserve a space in about 30 seconds by visiting mwcc.edu/takeiton.
Remember, we are here to support student success! Students can stop by the Counseling Office at any point throughout the day. In addition, parents can contact members of the Counseling Office as follows:
Ms. Cynthia Esielionis, email@example.com, 978-772-8600, ext. 1305
Mrs. Kim Sweetland, firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-772-8600, ext. 1306
Mrs. Terry Wallace, email@example.com, 978-772-8600, ext. 1304